Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Stand



Our last event of the summer was Beach Day. over 120 people packed into SUV's and vans to drive 2 1/2 hours to Santa Cruz. We had a day of fun in the sun, and as the day came to a close, we sang a few worship songs together. I may have been feeling somewhat emotional already due to the fact that this was my last event with Modesto Covenant, but I wasn't aware of how God was going to work to show me one last reminder that He is always present. The Students were shouting out songs that they would like to hear, and one student said, "let's sing the stand!". Now, The Stand is one of my favorite worship songs, and we were sitting on the beach with the sun setting in front of us, prime time to worship God.

Scott began to strum the chords and as we neared the chorus, I opened my eyes to find that all of the students were standing, with their arms raised high above them, worshiping the Lord unashamed. Instantly the tears flowed. I knew that God had done something amazing this summer. Even if sometimes it felt like I wasn't doing such a great job of showing Christ's love, they were there in the moment worshiping Jesus 100%. It was such a gift, such a joy, just what a youth worker dreams of their students to do.

Lord, thank you for the opportunity to serve the high schoolers in Modesto. Thank you that I was able to speak of you and what you're doing. Be with them God, show them how much you love them. Replace the fear of standing for you with joy and pride. Protect them this year, let them fall more in love with you so they can be a light to the lost.

I'll stand, with arms high, and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all
I'll stand, my soul Lord to you surrendered
All I am is yours.
All I am is yours.
What can I say? And what can I do?
But offer this heart completely to you...

No comments: